Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I need a premonition, gut instinct, or some general firm advice

It's only been a couple days and yet I feel like it's been much longer. I'm sure as I begin writing I'll find I don't have much to update on but I feel as if I've experienced more than I actually have.
My last post I focused much more on events and much less on how I felt about them. This post might be more emotional and personally thoughtful, but I hope it still gives you an idea of what it's like in the Tokyo area now.
Since my last update, I have been staying away from my city and in Omar's city instead. My city is still experiencing aftershocks at a magnitude 5 and above. If you've never felt a 6.0 earthquake, I can tell you that experiencing them regularly is not an exciting, fun, event. Not for most people anyways. The aftershocks are getting less frequent and less severe but I'm happy to be away from the shaking for awhile. They're still predicting another big aftershock to hit Tokyo but as the days go on, the risk goes down. However, last night we felt an earthquake that hit Shizuoka (Mt. Fuji rejion) that registered at a 6.2 and I wonder if that could be the earthquake everyone was expecting. It's hard to predict things like that and who knows how the earth will react to being rattled around like it was. But it's not the earthquakes that everyone is worried about anymore. We already experienced our once in a lifetime huge shaker followed by a deadly tsunami...we're not so worried over another earthquake. It's the radiation that has everyone panicked now.
The situation at Fukushima wasn't very alarming at first. Even after the first explosion the government wasn't sending any sort of message that there was real danger to surrounding cities. I can't say the same for now. The strange thing about this situation is I don't feel panicked about it. I felt panicked about aftershocks, not being able to understand all of the emergency messages being broadcasted in Japanese, and being alone. Radiation? I am thinking about my options, but it doesn't make me feel panicked. As the situation in Japan gets more developed, the days go on, and the death toll climbs I feel that the most important thing for me is to stay calm. I don't want to make decisions based on fox news trying to elicit a reaction from people back in America by creating fear with their headlines. For now, I know I'm safe. I do need to think about the future but can do that in safety and not feel like split second decisions are required to ensure my safety. Something that does make it a bit more of a priority is the fact that some airlines are re-routing and canceling flights to Tokyo. This could make it harder to get a flight out if I decide to. Also, France has sent planes to evacuate their nationals, Britain and Australia are recommending their nationals consider leaving Tokyo, and America has decided to take a much more cautious approach to the situation in Tokyo than Japan is. I'm honestly not sure what to think.
Yesterday, as I was thinking about my situation I was sitting in the BX where I'm staying. Groups of people were walking by and I noticed they weren't dressed like American military, they were Australian. My guess is they are a rescue team working on the efforts in Miyagi. A little while later, the Japanese rescue team strolled through. It was really cool to see rescue teams right in front of me, to know that effort was being put out and Japan wasn't alone.
In other events, I've been reading some comments in places such as facebook regarding some issues that this quake has brought up. Namely, the safety of nuclear power. I may just be sensitive, but I think it's a bit too soon to be arguing the greatness of nuclear power when millions of people are questioning their safety.
For now, I'm staying calm and relaxed, trying to process all the information I have, and doing my best to look into the future and trust my instincts on what to do next. I feel safe now and think I will stay in Japan, but I have to see how the situation develops and not wait too long to make a decision. If you have any thoughts about this, you should leave me a comment!

3 comments:

sfoxfire143 said...

"I don't want to make decisions based on fox news trying to elicit a reaction from people back in America by creating fear with their headlines. For now, I know that I am safe."

Smart girl. On the other hand, the radiation is very scary and the U.S. is starting to evacuate!?

Ashley Hankins said...

Hey Ash,

you should definitely prayerfully consider what to do. I'm not gonna lie, the radiation thing is scary and sounds like risky business, even if they are exaggerating a bit. Consider leaving!

I know this probably isn't a priority on your mind, but do you still plan on coming to Korea in 2 weeks?

Katie Adams said...

Ashley,
I am only commenting my opinion only because you asked for it; otherwise it would be foolish for someone who has never gone through what you have (and is sitting comfortably in their own house on the opposite side of the world) to try to put in their two cents.
Anyway, like I said a few days ago, I completely agree with you, your decisions, your reactions, and your questions. How can anyone prepare for one major disaster, let alone two or three? We aren't prepared for something like that as human-beings, which it's no body's fault for not (if we were super prepared for major disasters we wouldn't be living). The fact that in a matter of days you have experienced one of the largest earthquakes in HISTORY (not to mention the largest one Japan has ever had), your after shocks are as big as an earthquake in California, a tsunami hit and destroyed Japan's coast (as well as economy, lives, and livelihoods), you're a foreigner, and a list of other things...my point is, you should not be blamed or see yourself as "wrong" for not thinking that you should be more concerned over something (like radiation). The mind can only handle so much; come to think of it, it might be your survival instincts that are causing you to not process what is going on, because right not it probably is not the right time to be contemplating things...right now is probably the right time to survive, meaning think clearly, be able to make decisions (even if that means not doing anything). You'll have years to be able to process what you, your friends, and Japan have gone through. Based on your post, I have a good feeling that you already somewhat think this way and I'm only saying it in order to encourage you, free you, and empower you to do what YOU think is best.

As for your comment about other people's comments about the safety of nuclear. COME ON PEOPLE! Who in their right mind would think, "I don't think we should build this, because who knows if some time down the road a huge earthquake and tsunami will come." Not to be insensitive (but I think those people who are posting such crap are being insensitive, especially since it's only been DAYS since that plant has been acting up...wait a couple of months or even years) but it would be like the media saying on 9/12/01 that the twin towers should have never been built because they were too tall and an airplane could have easily hit them. I think people need to keep their analyzing on how things could have been better to a zero, until the people who have been effected are helped. I'm done preaching on my soap box.
Ash, I love you and I'm praying for you. I don't know if this gives you comfort, but I strongly believe that you are the woman for the job; you are such a strong woman and person. God has clearly given that to you - tap into that and run with it. Though being strong also means being strong enough to know when to say "help", to cry, or nothing at all (again, I'm just saying this for the record). Again, I love you and I'm here in the beautiful world of Texas praying for you and encouraging you (I've got your back).
Much love, Katie