Friday, March 4, 2011

When I quit, I become the student.

I quit my job the other day and through the experience learned some things. I was surprised in the end how it turned out since during the entire ordeal I felt angry, stressed, and overall shitty. When I first put in my resignation, I had to tell my boss's husband since my regular boss was out having surgery. I wanted to put in the notice as soon as I got the other job so my school would have plenty of time to find another foreign teacher since that's a tough thing in my city. He was slightly less than understanding. He wasn't angry or aggressive in any way but I could tell he wasn't happy either. It was a bit awkward. Then, when my regular boss talked to me about it, the entire situation did a 180. She gave me some life advice and basically sent me on my way. Here is my synopsis of what she said.

1. If you have goals, you can't stay in one place.

I loved that she said this. I was feeling a little guilty about leaving since I do love the school, but she understood that my goals in life require more than experience at a kindergarten. She knew that I had learned what I needed to learn there and had to have a new experience.

2. Always do your best.
I'll gloss over the part where she implied that the marriages between the parents at our school were strong because of her counseling and skip to the part where she said that always doing your best in the moment will enable you to reap rewards in the future that you could have never foreseen. It was fantastic to be reminded that what I'm doing now DOES have a future consequence and always doing my best will ensure that the consequence is deserved. Hopefully it's positive.

3. With passion, you don't mind the difficult parts.
I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that after over a year of working with my boss she noticed my passion, but I was a bit taken aback. Her actual words were, "I think the future will be difficult, but you have a passion so even the difficult things will seem easy for you." Amazingly encouraging. After thinking about it, I completely agree. If you're passionate about a certain goal or place you want to be in life, you don't really care how difficult it is. You power through until you get what or where you want to be. I do anyways.

In the end, she talked to be for almost an hour about life, my goals, and the job I was moving to. I realized that I wasn't actually angry with the school itself even though I did face some injustices. I had gotten all I could from the place and I was ready for the next step. I have learned from the past and know that transition is a really emotional thing for me but I hope I can accept this transition with less difficulty than I did that last one.

No comments: