Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tricky, but essential

I ride my bike to work. This means I have roughly 45 minutes daily to think about whatever I want while pedaling through the cold air. Sometimes I think about things that amount to nothing and sometimes I think about things that really matter--to me at least. Lately, a thought that has come up is whether or not I'm ready to leave Japan.
I'm the first to admit I have no real love for Japan. I don't necessarily appreciate the culture although I do respect it. The weather doesn't tend to put a smile on my face. The language doesn't roll off my tongue even though I get by. It's not the sort of environment that stimulates, inspires, or motivates me. In spite of all this, I am paying off my debt and making decent money. Even though I never thought I would be the sort of person that makes decisions based purely on finances, I feel burdened by my student debt and want to do everything I can to get rid of it forever. That is put up against the fact that I am craving mental stimulation and something to make me feel passionate again. I can only read so many current event articles about what the world needs before I feel angry with myself for not furthering myself to be able to do anything. So the choice is between progress and debt repayment...and when I put it that way the answer is so obviously progress.
If I am progressing and bettering myself, I am confident I can force my finances to follow suit. If I am following my passion while also working hard, I don't see my current debt getting in the way. It seems the real issue is finding the balance between logically eliminating my debt and furthering myself to maintain happiness. Balance is tricky, but essential.

No comments: