Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Holidays and the crazy things I do

So….how to process it all. I am getting better and better at this thing called culture shock mostly because it seems every culture is the same and simply expresses it differently. Once you find the common thread, what is left to be shocked over?
It doesn’t feel like Christmas in Korea because I’m not constantly being bombarded with reminders of how much money I need to spend since it’s CHRISTMAS and what ELSE do you do on Christmas but buy ridiculously expensive things for everyone in your life?! I’ve always loved every part of Christmas but the gifts. I think a couple years ago is when I stopped enjoying gifts. It just seems so ridiculous to feel pressured to buy things for people simply because that is what you did (or at least what the media screamed you should do). I understand the importance of tradition, I understand that there is the desire to show your loved ones that you love them by giving them something, but it feels so fake and forced. I always loved being able to relax, eat, joke around, watch movies, and just be with everyone I loved because it was Christmas. And then there was the candlelight Christmas Eve service…so beautiful. For some reason, I still cannot sleep on Christmas Eve…the excitement I felt as a child always creeps back up again and I just lay in bed with my eyes wide open and a smile on my face. I don’t know if that will happen this year. I don’t know though…I watched ‘Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!’ in one of my more advanced English classes the other night and cried when it got to the part where Linus tells the Christmas story out of the Bible. Then, tonight, I watched a scene from ‘The Polar Express’ and could not stop smiling. So, maybe that Christmas spirit is creeping up!
I do yoga here in Korea but for the past couple of times I have had to force myself to go. My instructor is unbelievably kind, but I just don’t really like yoga. I am already flexible, so I don’t really feel like it’s pushing me to new heights. All I feel it doing is inflict pain on random body parts because the language barrier causes me to pull muscles instead of gently stretch them. The instructor is always saying, “Ashley, slow, slow.” But when he isn’t watching and trying to instruct in Korean, I tend to go fast, fast. I definitely messed up my neck and in between my shoulders tonight. Go me. I think I’m going to go back to running.
The guy I do the language exchange with told me that a Russian professor he knows will let me start attending her classes for free. I am so excited! The only snags I see in this plan are 1. I hope the time of the classes match the times I can go and 2. I don’t know Korean and she doesn’t know English…so it looks like I will be learning Korean and Russian at the same time. I honestly think I know enough Russian for her to be able to explain any misunderstanding in Russian and it will be okay, but if not, then my Korean will also be getting better. Insane. I’m pretty excited and REALLY hope I can do the class. I’m hoping to meet her tomorrow when I go with my friend to his University.
I made chicken noodle soup pretty much from scratch the other night. Even though it’s not hard, it tasted amazing and that made me proud of myself.
I finally watched ‘Blood Diamond’ about a week ago and realized how in love with Africa I really am. A friend of mine said he doesn’t think it would take much to “fix” Africa, but then what would we have to “fix” next. I’m not sure I agree and I’m not sure one can really use an excuse like that to justify not doing it. There was a part in the movie where Leo DiCaprio’s character is talking to an African dude who asks Leo if he thinks there are good or bad people. Leo’s character says that he doesn’t think there are good or bad people, there are just people who DO good and bad things. Even a bad person can be redeemed by a good action. I found it very interesting, true, and somewhat disturbing how capable any person is of doing whatever they feel they have to. I’ve also been listening to a LOT of business/economic NPR programs. It’s very interesting hearing about all the pieces of the puzzle that make up the current economic state of the world. Learning about the hyperinflation happening in Zimbabwe blew my mind. How that mess will get figured out is beyond me.
I think this is enough of an update for now. My Thanksgiving turned out to be FANTASTIC and I got to eat stuffing made from scratch by me. There, of course, were other wonderful things to eat and my Irish friend that taunted me over how many Thanksgiving’s he was getting ended up giving me turkey. All was well. J

1 comment:

Sheri said...

"It won't take much to fix Africa" is a foolishly ignorant statement. You can tell your friend I know so. Westerners and their microwave solutions would be funny if they weren't so sad.