Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hello, America

Oy. I left Japan. Without going into the story behind why I decided to leave and what happened before and all that drama let me offer some advice to those of you moving from overseas back to America: do not stay in the ghetto when you get back to America. Or maybe do. I guess it depends on the experience you're looking to have.
In Japan, everything is quiet, nice, extremely non confrontational and if there is any confrontation it's usually because people have been drinking and these situations seem to only involve people who know each other. I never noticed any trouble when I was there and only heard about people getting into fights when I was talking to someone in the military. Everyone should know based on that description that it is not like America. Japan is very safe. You can walk on the street at 4 am anywhere and have no worries about anything bad happening.
Cut to now.
I am staying in Inglewood, CA on Century Blvd. What was I thinking when I booked the place? I am not ENTIRELY sure and kinda had a second thought about location. Nevertheless, here I am. So far, I have been asked to be popped (sexually), seen multiple homeless people, been fallen in love with, seen way too many check cashing places for a city block to contain, watched a man get kicked out of my hostel for "hustling", and overheard a manager ask a staff member if that girl was still hanging out on the corner. Ummmm....I'm not in Japan anymore. And if I'm being completely honest, I am LOVING it. Part of me feels threatened like perhaps the chances of me being raped or mugged are much higher, but another part of me thinks it's a giant comedy that I get to witness.
Huge negative in this situation? Omar is very far away and can't watch the comedy with me.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I will throw in $20 for a tazer to keep you safe. I don't know why you came back but welcome back the thee grande old U.S. of A home of the most fattening foods in the world and most of the craziest people alive. (run for the hills with a large supply of food and water)