Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Normalcy?

Since I've gotten to Tokyo my life has been filled with packing, moving, uncertainty and stress. Not the sort of stress that you might imagine, but the sort of stress that accompanies not having any clue what will happen next month. I feel like my life is better with a certain sort of stability like knowing I will be getting a paycheck next month. In the past two months my life has gotten much more stable with a job I enjoy and knowing my way around Tokyo better.
With everything settling a bit, I finally feel like my whole self is waking up from this weird numb survival mode. It's not as if before I was merely surviving because I definitely wasn't. It's just that before I didn't see things from a "this is my home" perspective. Everything felt oddly far away and I did things out of knowing I had to or should do those things. I am just now feeling like I want to do things that I would do somewhere I lived. A couple examples: start a regular Japanese class, go to a gym, go grocery shopping, get a phone with a monthly plan, and open a bank account. Before most of these things may have seemed hasty or unreasonable considering my situation, but now I know I'm staying here so I want a sense of normalcy. It's great :).
I finally finished this tv series I've been watching. It's actually a relief. Not sure that I've ever watched a tv show out of a sense of duty to finish. This show was a constant string of cheating couples and it was starting to get to me considering I was just told about a situation involving cheating recently.
It's shocking to me how deeply I'm affected by someone's bad relationship decisions that don't directly involve me. Watching the entire thing unfold has made me feel like no matter what, people are flawed. And even if you think you can trust someone else, they could always deceive you or leave you or decide to stop loving you. It's always their choice. Knowing that is so scary.
So, in reference to me seeking stability, I think I found a place to stay starting in March. Definitely stoked about that. Also found a couple places to do free Japanese lessons and I'm going to try and find these places tomorrow. I haven't looked into a gym yet...but once I have housing I think that'll be easier.

No comments: