Monday, April 5, 2010

Time for something fresh

I am waiting. After I got my hanko, registered myself at City Hall, filled out loads of paperwork, and sat at the real estate office, I got assigned to wait until the 13th to go pick up my key. Unfortunately, my boss will be out of town then so he informed me that on the 13th I need to find a Japanese speaker to go with me to the real estate office to pick up the key. I'm sure I can find someone, but I always hate to feel like I'm inconveniencing someone with such an un-fun task. I also need to find a Japanese speaker that can call and arrange for them to turn on my gas. I'm going to need that soon after moving in, so maybe I can just get one person to do this all in one day? I hope I can! This whole not speaking much Japanese thing is becoming quite the issue. And even though it is frustrating to do this whole process through a translator, it's liberating to know my boss doesn't OWN the apartment, it is mine separate from him or my school. So different from Korea!
Another thing that is becoming quite the issue is me feeling like I am hitting life WAY below my potential level. Everyday I come across things that challenge me in unique ways, force me to learn something, and help me see the world from a different perspective, but it's not enough. It doesn't push me to THINK, to really explore my knowledge bank, to work with others to come up with an innovative solution. I feel so underused. There are parts of my life that are so extremely satisfying right now it's blissful, but there are other parts that are really frustrating me. I realize this is a HUGE sign to change so I'm taking measures to do just that. It's spring, so it's time for a fresh start! The issue with this is, I want the blissful parts to stay blissful and just make the frustrating parts change! Balancing life can be really challenging!
The cherry blossoms have bloomed! Since then, it has been sunny for one day and pretty rainy and gross for most other days. Usually in Japan, they have picnics in parks and look at the cherry blossoms. But as my boss said today, they just pretend to look at the cherry blossoms and actually just look at their food. My boss says funny things without meaning to and she is honestly one of the best bosses I have ever had. She's always trying to give me advice for my future and mentor me just like she does all her students. She is a natural teacher. I'm so thankful for my employers.

No comments: