Wednesday, February 8, 2012

musings of the unemployed

Oh my, unemployment...we meet again!
I had a job but I quit. Normally I would not be quitting jobs so quickly when I have felt the pain of unemployment before, but this time...I just had to quit. It was actually a very hard decision and just as I felt like I was getting my financial life back on track, I took a steady paycheck out of the equation and it wasn't so on track anymore. Now I'm grappling with getting any job I can for any amount of income I can get and tracking down the job that is just right for me. I'm not sure that just right job exists in this so not right town.
This all leads me to thinking about that day I took the picture of Omar and that old man riding bikes. I had just returned from a trip to see my family back in America and Omar and I had decided to ride bikes in a town near Narita. We wanted to see something new and needed a little adventure. This old man befriended us on the bike trail and after he beckoned us to follow him he led us to his house to share homemade liquor and strange stories in broken Japanese. He did not know a single word of English. It sounds really creepy...especially if I add details like his birdcages filled with beetles and no trace of an indoor toilet...but at the time it was so magical! Days like that helped me believe life was so full of surprises and God was active in making sure I understood what joy could mean on a daily basis. I need a day like that. It was a silly day but worry was absent so it was a good day.
I know I took a risk moving to North Carolina, especially to a city where opportunity is lacking, but the hope is with the risk will come reward. I need to GROW in whatever way this city can offer. For now, maybe I will just take whatever job I can.

No comments: