Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Missions of Charity

Today I visited a Missions of Charity home in Addis. This is one of the homes started by Mother Theresa and is now tended by other Catholic sisters. It is amazing how they have dedicated their lives to serving those who are destitute, dying, sick, poor...people who have nowhere else to go. They give dignity to those who seemingly have none left. It was really beautiful. In the sister's words, "They come here to die like human beings, not like animals on the street."

While we were there, a man died in a ward right before we stepped into it. When we stepped in, there was a crowd praying around his bed. I didn't watch him die but I watched those around his bed say their goodbyes and pray for him and it just reminded me that we all die. It's not like the movies...you just go. She told us they cook special meals for those they know are dying. Sometimes, after eating the special meal, the person goes. Typing "the person goes" makes me feel like it's just another journey. I suppose for a christian it is an extension...us meeting our creator. Being with Jesus.

I haven't faced death and life in such a raw way in a very long time. It was a bit jarring, to be honest. Nepal wasn't like that. People were suffering, sure, but I never watched them die or become terminally ill. That sort of thing is unique. 

No comments: